We will keep a list of resources regarding the coronavirus for people with disability here, and update it as we get more information and resources.
The latest info regarding COVID-19 comes from the Department of Health and Human Services, and can be found at: https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus
Other useful resources include:
1. The Growing Space has published a 4 page Easy English Guide that clearly explains:
- COVID-19 symptoms
- Preparation advice for people with disability
- Safety precautions
- What to do if you’re unwell
You can read the Easy English Guide here (PDF)
All credit to The Growing Space, 2020.
2. On the 17th of March, Sport and Recreation Victoria updated their advice. This can be found at https://sport.vic.gov.au/news/articles/update-11-march-coronavirus
Bans are currently in place for gatherings over 500 people. As most community sport programs have much fewer participants than that, their advice is: "This means that community and grassroots sport, and active recreation can continue under the declaration in Victoria where they do not constitute a mass gathering. However, as the situation is rapidly changing and you should regularly check the DHHS coronavirus website for updates."
Check in with each sport or the facilitator of programs to see whether your program s going ahead or not, as each sport and recreation activity is different, with different levels of risk.
3. Other helpful information from VicSport:
Vicsport is monitoring the situation regarding coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and its impact on sporting clubs and sporting events.
Find helpful links from Sport and Recreation Victoria, Victorian Department of Health & Human Services, World Health Organization (WHO), Australian Institute of Sport and smartraveller.gov.au to best prepare yourself here:
4. The NDIA has just published an update on their website about the novel coronavirus/COVID-19 and what it means for NDIS participants, including the announcement that phone meetings will be available for anyone who would prefer not to have a face-to-face meeting under the circumstances.
An updated website from the NDIS can be found at: https://www.ndis.gov.au/understanding/ndis-and-other-government-services/ndis-and-disaster-response?fbclid=IwAR2J5_AIggWD-h0h2brOmD1gXvQJRVJyfqmjpOvNL2E0W_0qGCPjhUJGfx4#faq
5. Two Way St have a downloadable Aided Language Display (ALD) that can help you or people you care about communicate about coronavirus (COVID-19).
Tap here to download http://bit.ly/38VCJH1
6. Teachers Pay Teachers have three resources, including a Coronavirus Social Narrative for Adults, Self-Isolation (Quarantine) Due to Coronavirus (COVID-19), and Personal Hygiene Visual Schedules (Autism) BUNDLE. To check out these resource, click here.
7. Supermarket accessibility: Coles are updating shopping hours to allow emergency services and healthcare workers to shop early on Tuesday & Thursday. Changing the days for people with a disability and the elderly to shop to Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Entry to stores will be granted with a relevant government-issued Companion or Carer Card, disability permit, Pensioner Concession Card and Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.
8. Don't forget to stay active, and exercise! A number of organisations are releasong content to help you stay fit from the comfort of your own home, see the list below:
- Gymnastics Victoria have generously opened up their Online Aerobase program, and we have never had so much fun exercising at home! Programs are for adults and children, and teach the basics of aerobics. See here for more info.
- School of Strength (NEW):Officially launched on Wednesday, March 18th across the Special Olympics movement! School of Strength is an interactive online platform that encourages athletes to participate in a fun and engaging training program that they can do in the comfort of their own homes. See here for more info.
- For kids stuck at home: NETFIT Online Clinics run from 9am to 3pm on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Their mission is to give young netballers all over the world the tools and confidence to shine from within. Click here for more info.